top of page

Defense Based Act (DBA) Workers Compensation Insurance 

DBA Insurance
What is DBA Insurance?

If you have a contract with the U.S. government, and you will have employees overseas, then chances are that you will need to obtain a DBA policy. The DBA provides disability compensation and medical benefits to employees and death benefits to eligible survivors of employees of U.S. government contractors who perform work overseas. 

Who needs it & what it covers? 
The U.S. Department of Labor requires DBA coverage for employees if they:
  • Work for private employers on U.S. military bases or on any lands used by the U.S. for military purposes outside of the United States, including those in U.S. Territories and possessions;

  • Work on public work contracts (see FAQ 3) with any U.S. government agency, including construction and service contracts in connection with national defense or with war activities outside the United States;

  • Work on contracts approved and funded by the U.S. under the Foreign Assistance Act, which among other things provides for cash sale of military equipment, materials, and services to its allies, if the contract is performed outside of the United States;

  • Work for American employers providing welfare or similar services outside the United States for the benefit of the Armed Services, e.g. the United Service Organizations (USO); and

  • Any injury or death occurring to any such employee during transportation to or from the place of employment, where the employer or the U.S. provides the transportation or the cost thereof.

If your U.S. Government contract stipulates DBA coverage, please consult with us first. 

bottom of page